This baked ricotta and spinach cannelloni recipe is made with delicious cheeses. It is the perfect simple comfort meal for vegetarians as it consists of everything you could ever crave in a vegetarian main course. If there is a get to together at your home, this recipe is an ideal choice to enjoy with your guests. It’s classic and also surprisingly easy to cook!
Like any other classic Italian recipes, like lasagna, ricotta and spinach cannelloni meal also one of those recipes that will win over your heart and of course will rule your taste buds!
Soon, no doubt, it will become your top favorite family meal.
Baked Ricotta And Spinach Cannelloni
Prep Time: 35 min
Cook Time: 40 min
Total Time: 1 hr 15 min
For The Sauce
- 2 garlic cloves
- One shallot
- 3 1/2 cups pureed tomatoes
- One small bunch basil
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
For The Filling
- 12.3 oz ricotta cheese
- 8.8 oz fresh spinach
- One egg
- 2 tbsp grated parmesan
- a pinch of nutmeg
- salt and pepper
For The Assembling
- 4.4 oz ball of mozzarella
- 12 cannelloni pasta tubes
- More grating of parmesan
Step 1: Make The Sauce
- Begin by finely chopping the garlic and shallot.
- Then saute them in a pan with a little olive oil until soft and translucent, for about 1-2 minutes. Note: Do not brown them.
- Now add the pureed tomatoes with some shredded basil leaves, salt, and pepper. Simmer for about 5 minutes. Keep aside.
Step 2: Prepare The Spinach
- In a large pan, add the drenched fresh, raw spinach and wither on medium heat. Sprinkle one tablespoon of water not to let the spinach burn and to help shrink it completely.
- Set aside to cool or you can rinse under cold water and squeeze out the majority of the water and chop finely.
Step 3: Make The Filling
- To prepare the ricotta and spinach filling, in a large mixing bowl, add the ricotta, chopped spinach, egg, parmesan, nutmeg and salt, and pepper.
- Stir everything together until well incorporated and creamy.
Step 4: Start Assembling
- First, you have to preheat your oven to 350F°.
- Now begins the real work for assembling the ricotta and spinach cannelloni.
- Pour some spoonfuls of tomato sauce at the bottom of a large baking dish.
- Put the ricotta and spinach filling into a piping bag and pipe the mixture into the cannelloni pasta tubes. Note: Alternately you can also use a disposable freezer bag, simply cut the corner off to fill your cannelloni.
- Now put every filled cannelloni tube in a uniform layer in your baking dish.
- Deck up the filled cannelloni with the remaining tomato sauce then sprinkle the shredded mozzarella and grated parmesan.
- Cover the baking dish using foil and put it in the preheated oven to bake for 30 min.
- After that, uncover the dish and bake for another 10 min. Note: The cheese will be golden and bubbling, which means cannelloni is cooked well.
- Serve it hot on a platter and relish with your family and friends.