Catering for a vegetarian at a traditional Sunday roast dinner can be daunting if you don’t regularly cook vegetarian food.
But don’t panic! Help is at hand – here are 34 fabulous recipes to help you find inspiration for a crowd-pleasing veggie option to team with roast potatoes, gravy and all the trimmings.
I’ve divided them into nine categories including pies, savoury puddings, nut roasts, tarts, stuffed vegetables and so on, and the recipes range from the simplest of assembly-jobs to more involved recipes for confident cooks.
RED ONION, FETA AND SWEET POTATO GALETTE
A lovely roasted sweet potato and onion galette recipe.
- Cook Time
- 30 mins
- Servings: 4
FOR THE PASTRY:
- 175 g (6 1/4 oz) flour
- 115 g (4oz) cold butter cubed
- 1/2 tsp dried mixed herbs optional
- 2-3 tbsp ice cold water
- 1 egg beaten
FOR THE GALETTE FILLING:
- 450 g (1lb) sweet potato cubed into bite sized pieces
- 2 large red onions cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 60 g (2oz) feta cheese crumbled
- 1 tsp chopped thyme
- 1/4 tsp chopped rosemary
MAKE THE GALETTE DOUGH.
- Add the flour, butter, salt and mixed herbs into the smaller bowl of your food processor and whiz for a minute until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Then add in 2 tbsp of ice cold water and process again until the dough forms a ball. You might need to add another tbsp of water. Form dough into a disk shape, wrap it in cling film and refrigerate for 1 hr.
ROAST THE VEGETABLES.
- Preheat the oven to fan assisted 160C / 180C / 350F / gas 4. Add sweet potato to one half of the baking tray and the onion to the other half. You need to keep them separate, as you will remove the onion earlier than the sweet potato. Drizzle on some olive oil and salt, mix well and roast the vegetables for about 15 mins for the onion and 20 mins for the sweet potato till they are almost done but still have some bite to them.
ASSEMBLE AND BAKE THE GALETTE.
- Preheat the oven to fan assisted 180C / 200C / 400F / gas 6. Line a baking tray with some baking parchment. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface into a 12 inch circle. If you want you can trim the edges. Transfer the dough on to the baking tray.
- Add the sweet potato and onion mix onto the middle of the galette leaving a couple of inches clear for the folds. Drizzle on the balsamic vinegar and the sprinkle on the cheese and herbs. Fold the dough over the sweet potato mix pleating as necessary. Brush the edge of the galette with the egg.
- Bake the galette for between 25 -30 mins until the crust is golden brown. Serve with a green salad with balsamic vinaigrette dressing.
Try this recipe of vegetarian roast and enjoy!