If you are looking for a delicious dessert that is completely vegetarian, then you can opt for Kesari shrikhand. Maharashtra and Gujarat, the two popular states of India, are the originator of this yogurt dessert. Hung yogurt, cardamom powder, a handful of mixed nuts, and lots of saffron go into making this tasty dessert. Team the chilled shrikhand with hot puris to get out of the word taste.
Preparation time – 8 hours
Cooking time – 5 minutes
Serving – 4
Ingredients For Kesari Shrikhand
- Saffron – 2-3 dashes
- Yogurt – 1kg
- Sugar – 1/3 cup (you can add erythritol if you want to avoid sugar)
- Warm milk – 2 tbsp
- Nutmeg powder – a pinch
- Green cardamom powder – ¼ tsp
- Almonds – 6, blanched, peeled and cut into slices
- Pistachio – 10, blanched, peeled and cut into slices
How To Prepare Kesari Shrikhand
- Take a piece of muslin cloth and add the yogurt to it. Tie it well and hang it over a bowl. Now keep the bowl in the fridge for the whole night so that the water from the yogurt goes away.
- Next morning, take the bowl out of the fridge and open the muslin cloth to take the soft water free yogurt in another bowl. Add the sugar or erythritol whatever you are using. Mix them well.
- Now, sprinkle the nutmeg powder along with cardamom powder to the yogurt mixture and using your hand mix thoroughly. Add the saffron and mix it again. Keep the mixture within the fridge for a few hours.
- At the time of serving, take it out of the fridge and garnish it with sliced pistachios and almonds and serve in a bowl.
Cheesecake With Chocolates And Tofu – An Alternative To Kesari Shrikhand
If the above recipe is not enough for you, then you can also try the cheesecake prepared with tofu and chocolates. The peanut butter crust makes it alluring. It is a vegan recipe suitable for vegetarians too.
Preparation time – 20 minutes
Cooking time – 10 minutes
Serving – 12
For The Crust
- Pretzels – 6.5 ounces
- Peanut butter – ½ cup
- Coconut oil – 2 tbsp
- Coconut palm syrup – 1tbsp
For The Filling
- Tofu – 1pound
- Vegan dark chocolate – 12 ounces
- Vanilla extract – 1 tsp
- Fresh coffee – 2 tsp
- Pure maple syrup – 2 tbsp, you can add it to increase sweetness if you want.
- Preheat the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In the food processor, add the pretzels and ground it properly. Tip in the peanut butter, coconut oil as well as coconut palm syrup and pulse for about a minute so that everything is well combined.
- Take a spring foam pan of 9 inches and pour the mixture at the base. Set it with your hand evenly. When done, insert it within the oven for baking for about 10 minutes. Take it out and let it cool.
- In the meantime, you prepare the filling. Melt the chocolate and pour it to the food processor. Add the tofu, vanilla extract, coffee to the melted chocolate and pulse till the mixture is smooth. You can add a little bit of maple syrup if you want more sweetness.
- Pour this tofu mixture on the top of the baked crust and spread evenly. Cover the pan and keep within the fridge for about two hours to set it.
- Take it out at the time of serving and garnish with fresh berries and cut into slices.