Indian vegetarian food recipes are delicious and healthy. As many people in India follow a vegetarian diet, there are a lot of varieties and options to cater to different tastes and preferences. Here we bring you some of the best and most popular Indian vegetarian food recipes.
Indian Vegetarian Food Recipes
Sabudana (sago) Khichadi
Sabudana Khichdi is a tasty Indian dish made from tapioca or sago pearls. It is mildly flavoured with peanuts, boiled potatoes, chillies and coriander.
- 1 cup sago pearls
- 2 potatoes, boiled and peeled
- Few roasted peanuts
- Some curry leaves
- An inch of grated ginger
- Green chili – chopped
- cumin seeds
- 2 Tablepoons grated fresh coconut
- 1 teaspoon sugar or as required
- Some lemon juice
- Ghee or oil for sautéing
- rock salt for seasoning
- Wash and soak the sago pearls overnight or for 5 hours.
- Drain them and keep aside.
- Pour some oil in a wok and once it heats up, add the cumin seeds.
- Add the peanuts and roast them for some time. You can even roast them separately and grind them to a coarse powder.
- Now mix the powdered peanuts, salt, sugar to the drained and soaked sago.
- In the wok, add the boiled potatoes and fry them for some time.
- Next, add the ginger and chillies.
- Now add the sago pearls to this wok and season with lemon and coriander.
- Add fresh grated coconut in the end and mix well.
- The sago pearls will become opaque, it is then when they are ready to serve.
Samosa is a popular fried dumpling made with a pastry dough and a spicy potato filling inside. This is deep fried in oil and served with coriander chutney. The fillings may vary with a corn filling, vegetable filling, onion filling or even meat, but the potato filling is most common.
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 teaspoon carom seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- water to knead the dough
- 3-4 medium potatoes
- Oil for frying as well as to make the filling and the dough
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 2 teaspoons crushed coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped ginger
- 1 green chili chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon asafoetida
- 1/2 cup +2 tablespoons green peas
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon dried mango powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
For the Dough
- Take a large bowl and add plain flour, carrom seeds, salt and mix well. Add some oil and again knead the dough. the mixture should make crumbs. Finally, add water and knead into a smooth dough.
- You can place a wet cloth on the dough and let it rest for some time, approx 40 minutes. In that time, you can start preparing the filling.
For the Filling
- Boil the potatoes and remove from the cooker and let cool.
- Now peel the skin and smash them.
- Take 2 tablespoons oil in a wok and add cumin seeds, fennel seeds, and crushed coriander seeds.
- Next, add chopped ginger, green chilli and asafetida and cook for some time.
- Now add the boiled potatoes, peas and all the spices and mix well.
- Remove from the heat and mix well.
Shape and Fry the Samosas
- Now take small parts of dough and make round balls of them.
- Roll one dough ball and give it a circle-oval shape. Cut it into two parts.
- Take one part and fold it like a funnel.
- Add some filling inside the funnel and then close it from the ends and seal tightly with some water.
- This way, prepare all the samosas in a plate and keep ready.
- Now heat oil in a pan and when medium hot, start frying all the samosas, by putting 2 or 3 at once.
- Remove from the flame when golden brown and serve hot with coriander chutney.
These two are our selected popular recipes from India. Do try these and enjoy!