Tacos are the traditional Mexican dish having corn tortillas stuffed with different sorts of fillings. The vegetarian tacos recipe given in this blog has used a filling of refried beans, sour cream and cheese, and tomato salsa. Making Mexican tacos is very easy; you can either purchase the taco shells from the store, fill in the whole wheat flatbreads, or even tortillas. You will also need refried beans to cook this style of vegetarian tacos. Refried beans are made with kidney beans, also known as rajma, where the beans are cooked properly and are then mashed.
Vegetarian Tacos Recipe To Make This Evening
Make the delicious and yum vegetarian tacos using tomato salsa, refried beans, and sour cream.
- Tomato Salsa or you can also add guacamole
- Sour cream or yogurt or fresh curd
- Taco shells or tortillas, store-bought or made at home
- Processed cheese or grated cheddar cheese. Cheese is optional, and you can skip it.
For Soaking Kidney Beans
- 100 grams or ½ cup kidney beans
- Enough water to soak the kidney beans
For Pressure Cooking The Beans
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water
Ingredients For Refried Beans
- One tablespoon olive oil
- 2-3 medium and finely chopped garlic cloves
- ⅓ cup finely chopped onions
- ⅓ teaspoon black pepper powder
- One teaspoon cumin powder
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ to 1 teaspoon red chili powder or you can also use cayenne pepper
- ½ to ⅔ cup water or as needed
Ingredients For Vegetarian Tacos Filling
- 12 to 14 taco shells
- ½ cup sour cream
- One bowl tomato salsa
- ⅓ cup grated cheddar cheese
Methods To Make Vegetarian Tacos
For Pressure Cooking The Kidney Beans Or Rajma
- Rinse around a cup of kidney beans a couple of times using water. Soak the beans in enough water for the entire night for around 8 to 9 hours.
- Drain the entire water the next day and add the beans to the pressure cooker, followed by adding ¼ teaspoon salt. Also, add water.
- Keep the beans on a medium flame for 15-18 minutes and let them boil.
- Sidewise, you can prepare the tomato salsa and do not add salt in it as the tomato and onions tend to release water. Add salt while you are just making the tacos.
- When the pressure settles down, check the kidney beans by taking one out of it if it’s boiled properly.
Refried Beans Recipe To Make Vegetarian Tacos
- Heat around 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil in a pan over low flame, followed by adding finely chopped garlic. Do not allow the garlic to turn brown.
- Add finely chopped onions until they become translucent.
- Then add the kidney beans that you just cooked.
- Add around ½ to ⅔ cups of water.
- Allow the kidney bean mixture to come to a boil and also add salt, followed by mixing it well.
- Once the mixture easily comes to a boil, mash the batter using a vegetable masher. Now, allow the kidney beans mash to cool down and blend everything to get a smooth puree out of it.
- Add black pepper powder, dried oregano, red chili powder, and cumin powder.
- Add herbs according to your taste and mix them well.
- On low to medium flame, continue to simmer beans and stir for the next 5-6 minutes till it gets thickened. Keep a slight liquid consistency if the beans look dry. Switch off the flame once you get the desired consistency.
Assembling the Ingredients And Making the Vegetarian Tacos
- Take the taco shells and place them on the baking tray by preheating the oven to 100 degrees celsius for around 2-3 minutes. Place the tacos in the oven and let them get baked. Well, this step is optional.
- Gather all the ingredients and assemble taco shells, sour cream, grated cheddar cheese, refried beans, along with tomato salsa.
- Take the taco shell out of the oven and pour some spoons of refried beans on it.
- Top the refried beans with tomato salsa and add it as a filling.
- Now top the taco with 1 to 2 spoons of sour cream, fresh yogurt, or curd.
- Top using some grated cheese at the end.
- Make the rest of the tacos the same way, and you are ready to consume them.
Now, easily make vegetarian tacos at home with the above vegetarian tacos recipe.